Microheroes International Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRegisterLog in

use existing micro-heroes for our creations

Go down 
+3
Quester
Kat
BourrinOman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BourrinOman

BourrinOman

Male
Gemini Rooster
Registration date : 2007-11-21

use existing micro-heroes for our creations Empty
PostSubject: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 11:26 am

Hello.

I wondered if the micro-heroes (present on the Ze Ball Breaker site) are free of rights or if the authorization of their creators is needed to use them in my creations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.natureprovencale.fr/wp/
Kat
Kat

Female
Aries Snake
Image Software : Photoshop / Animation Shop
Registration date : 2006-11-25

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Depends on the creator. For the most part, you do need to get permission from the original creators to use parts of their micros.

BourrinOman

BourrinOman

Male
Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 pm

OK.

How can I konw the creators names of the MH in Ball Breaker ?
Back to top Go down
Kat
Kat

Female
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 5:06 pm

There are 1000s of micros on ballbreaker, so that would be impossible without know which ones.

BourrinOman

BourrinOman

Male
Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 pm

In firt time this one : http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Flash/Flash-Allen-Maguire.gif

After, I think to use, for example, http://jerome.galica.free.fr/divers/mortalkombat/Abel_MK1Raiden.gif and http://jerome.galica.free.fr/divers/mortalkombat/goro.GIF

It's for a amalgam project between Motal Kombat and DC Comics.
Back to top Go down
Quester

Quester

Male
Aries Snake
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 11:21 am

Technically, they are online, they aren't protected per se (if you started, say, selling access to them, then sure, the original creators could probably do something about it). But in theory, you can TECHNICALLY use whatever you want. However, some people prefer to have credit. So if you know, it's nice to tip your hat and thank the person who created them. If you don't, nothing you can do. Best thing is to create what you want and thank people if you are able. Then if someone does say 'oh, hey, that bit is from me', then make sure to thank them and give them credit in the original place you posted it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/the-quester/gallery
Burningbird

Burningbird

Male
Aries Goat
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 2:20 pm

Quester wrote:
Technically, they are online, they aren't protected per se (if you started, say, selling access to them, then sure, the original creators could probably do something about it). But in theory, you can TECHNICALLY use whatever you want. However, some people prefer to have credit. So if you know, it's nice to tip your hat and thank the person who created them. If you don't, nothing you can do. Best thing is to create what you want and thank people if you are able. Then if someone does say 'oh, hey, that bit is from me', then make sure to thank them and give them credit in the original place you posted it.

DITO.

And for sites like Zee Ball Breakers... they are quit old, many of the creators arent active anymore and most of the time it was an open credit theme - if you gave them to zbb to upload you were fine with them beeing used. Checking the url sometimes help to find out who did the micro and give credit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/burningslide/gallery
Kat
Kat

Female
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 3:32 pm

Burningbird wrote:
- if you gave them to zbb to upload you were fine with them beeing used.

ZBB added them without permission... they weren't given to him.
Back to top Go down
https://linktr.ee/lisabit
Quester

Quester

Male
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 5:57 pm

Thing is....ZBB is where most of us started. Like Burningbird said, most of those creators are inactive or creations are so old they may not be seeking credit.

Best option is, if you can, credit people. If you don't know, don't worry. Just credit if someone picks you up. It's a community of people trying to help each other out. It only gets messy when people post someone else's micro with minimal changes then refuse to credit.

End of the day, people can ask for credit. Nobody has an official right to get any but frankly, who doesn't want to be a decent person and thank those that inspired them?
Back to top Go down
BourrinOman

BourrinOman

Male
Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 6:14 pm

OK.

Thanks for the information.

I think I'll make a general post explaining that I don't have the names of the authors of the original MHs for the credits.
Back to top Go down
Quester

Quester

Male
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Sounds like a solid plan
Back to top Go down
Joebleau

Joebleau

Male
Libra Rooster
Registration date : 2006-11-06

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2022 11:19 pm

En fait le site de ZZB est un peu comme les wikia/fandom. C'est une place pour voir les oeuvres des gens.
Point.
La communauté des micro créateurs ont toujours vu d'un mauvais oeil que quelqu'un utilise une partie ou la totalité de leurs oeuvres.

Çä même créer de légendaire chicane.

SI je peux te donner un conseil évite de faire du ''frankenstein'' avec les micros du net.. Prend le Flash que tu veux ouvre le en grand dans le programme que tu utilise et tente de ton mieux de recréer ce que tu as de besoin sans le copier.
Cela va t'Aider a te faire une propre identité comme micro créateur et tu vas te sentir beaucoup plus fier de toi et de ton oeuvre.
Back to top Go down
http://marvel-microheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel-Microheroes_Wiki
Quester

Quester

Male
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2022 2:49 am

I would push back a little and say that ‘frankensteining’ is a great place to start but credit heavily where possible and improve from there. People can get very overprotective of these little pixels and it can crate a barrier to entry. I think just try to be considerate, do your best and grow. By all means, try to create from scratch but don’t get to caught up on if the different percentages of your microes are original enough or not. Create what feels fun.

If people want credit they can ask nicely and you can give it. No need to put down a new artist for doing the best they can with the skills available at the outset. There are lots of tutorials and advice here though to help you grow beyond those initial stages. Also, let’s be honest, it’s a dying past time (not that it’s ever been huge) so the more the merrier.
Back to top Go down
Spaz
Administrator
Administrator
Spaz

Other / Decline to state
Virgo Cat
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2022 6:01 am

Quester wrote:
I would push back a little and say that ‘frankensteining’ is a great place to start but credit heavily where possible and improve from there. People can get very overprotective of these little pixels and it can crate a barrier to entry. I think just try to be considerate, do your best and grow. By all means, try to create from scratch but don’t get to caught up on if the different percentages of your microes are original enough or not. Create what feels fun.
I'd push back on your comment here Quester and argue that using the templates to ‘frankenstein’ from works, but there are certain people who are very protective of their work (we have some who are still active on the forum). While you may not share their outlook on the need for credit, it's still polite to ask instead of just taking. Like any other form of artistic expression, this little 'hobby' is one that we engage in for personal enjoyment and we post our stuff to share, like any artist that usses a different medium. if you wont's just recolour someone else's sketch/photograph/painting, why would you do what is effectively the same thing in micro form?
Conversely, if someone wants to make a micro that's just based off other people's works and use that as a base to try and make an original version after, a side-by-side could be interesting to track progress, but I don't know that I'd post it alone.

Quester wrote:
If people want credit they can ask nicely and you can give it. No need to put down a new artist for doing the best they can with the skills available at the outset. There are lots of tutorials and advice here though to help you grow beyond those initial stages. Also, let’s be honest, it’s a dying past time (not that it’s ever been huge) so the more the merrier.
While I can appreciate your stance on this, as someone who's self-described as retired from microing and who himself used parts from others that you credited when you started, I also recognize that you improved through the creation of new pieces through studying and messing around with other people's parts.
I think that, if you want to use parts, contact and ask first, then use.
An example would be my own work, anytime I use something that isn't mine, I credit, but I also got permission prior to posting
and a last comment - BourrinOman isn't a new member, he's been part of the community for over a decade (yes, there was a hiatus, but still, not new) Very Happy

Quester wrote:
Also, let’s be honest, it’s a dying past time (not that it’s ever been huge) so the more the merrier.
While that's a valid opinion, others could argue that it's exclusive and ever-changing instead of dying; the forum's not that active anymore, yes, but people are microing and posting elsewhere

Back to top Go down
Quester

Quester

Male
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2022 11:12 am

Yes, I've now realised he isn't new but talking in principle I guess. Still asking questions, still growing. I think the spirit still holds true. Some of us who've posted regularly over many years have more learning and are more...'mature'. I dunno, that sounds vaguely self-important but you know what I mean.

I agree with all that and was advocating for all those things. Ask, credit, expand and grow. I'm not saying, don't do those things. I've flagged members to admin (possibly yourself Spaz) who were just mining the site for others' microes and then posting them wholesale onto other sites.

I just don't want people to be put off worry about the minutiae. It doesn't need to be a big deal. If you can, work from scratch or templates. If you find something on a site you want to pull from, do that. If know who you're pulling from, credit. If not, post and if you get pulled up on it, make sure to credit then. Simple.

People do post microes elsewhere indeed. I just mean it's not as big as the heyday some 10/15 years back. New people getting involved/people wanting to expand their talents is always exciting and I just don't want politics putting people off. I've just definitely seen instances of people (experienced microers) being very abrasive or passive agressive toward new artists when it comes credit. Posting a response to a new microers art without commenting on the work, only saying things like 'that's mine/some else's part'. And I don't think that helps. The relationship needs to go both ways and responsibility is on both parties to develop a healthy 'scene'. I'd sooner people create and just post into the world, ideally looking for feedback or just to share their work. And if they get called up on things, the onus is then on them to make sure to credit if they've not already.

I want to make it clear, I don't think just a recolour or a rehash of someone else's work is particularly impressive. I really hate the work of Roy Leitchenstein for this reason. BUT he was selling pictures for millions, not just starting out. AND the artists' names were readily available to him which they often aren't with microes. AND he was actively not giving credit when called out. People should. It's polite. And we can be polite and encouraging to new microers and give them the best head's start with gentle messages like 'great micro. Love [this bit]. Head's up though, it seems you've used [x part] from [named creator]. Could you maybe edit the post to credit them. Thanks'. It's normally easy to tell when someone is starting out and trying new things, compared to somebody just reposting another person's microhero.

All be nice and civil I guess is what I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
BourrinOman

BourrinOman

Male
Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2022 5:24 pm

Quote :
SI je peux te donner un conseil évite de faire du ''frankenstein'' avec les micros du net.. Prend le Flash que tu veux ouvre le en grand dans le programme que tu utilise et tente de ton mieux de recréer ce que tu as de besoin sans le copier.

En fait c'était mon idée de base. En fait, je voulais créer un amalgam avec, entre autre, les micro-héros de chez DC Comics.
Back to top Go down
Battleclad

Battleclad

Male
Leo Snake
Image Software : Paint, Pixia, Paint.Net, CS2 & CS5
Registration date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 4:52 am

Quester wrote:

That's incorrect by the way, posting them online doesn't mean they can be used. Given most places micro makers post them defult to creative commons with no derivations or similar. Meaning unless in the templates area here or they otherwise make it as allowed to derived from all works have basic protections. So they can't be used without consent, sometimes creators notice and say something other times they let it slide depending on how many parts they used for it themselves. Copyright also applies the moment something is created, the default free one for a work is just somewhat harder to enforce than the paid one or explicit creative commons being applied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: use existing micro-heroes for our creations   use existing micro-heroes for our creations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

use existing micro-heroes for our creations
Page 1 of 1